The Hustleman Chronicles

Hustling in the concrete jungle of Atlanta, Georgia USA isn't easy. My goal? Simple... to go from net worth zero to the making of my first million. Will I flop, or rise to the top? Truth be told, failure is NOT an option. E-Mail your Hustleman at : thehustleman@hustleandprofit.com for some personal dialogue, comments or questions.

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Sunday Reflection: Remember When...

Welcome back Fam. As always, thanks to everyone who stops by and reads The Chronicles. For my new readers I would like you to know that Sunday is my off-day. A day when I stay in the house and don't do shit. This down-time gives me a chance to reflect on things I've learned throughout the week and basically re-charge myself for the week ahead. The pic above by the way is your Hustleman at a much younger age. Handsome little dude I was LOL.

This past Friday and Saturday went fantastic. It was just New York and your Hustleman locking down the block. And as usual, we killed it. I did miss the Nelly video shoot in East Point though. I wanted to get some pics for you all, sorry about that but your hustleman is money over bullshit all the time. New York is still trying to hit his lotto number and I must admit, I'm actually starting to root for him. You want to talk about being passionate about something! $300+ a week is pretty damn dedicated don't you agree?

Also I've been catching up on my rest as much as possible, I really need it. Not only for the health benefits, but for my sanity right now. I'm feeling much better though, thanks for asking. Moving on... I'd like to switch gears this Sunday mainly because I've been in an old school mood this week. You know, bumping old school music and what not. It started to make me think about my younger days and how much society has changed. Morales and values just seem to get worse every generation. And what about the poor quality of education?

*cough* check out Bleugod Edutainment *cough* (just read Friday's post for the details). Anyhow without further delay these are the things that came to me when I relaxed my mind and took a mental trip back in time.

REMEMBER WHEN...
- You actually liked listening to the radio station
- Parents used to actually spank their kids
- Dating a thug was a bad thing
- You had to be in the house before the street light came on
- Having a child in your teenage years was not the norm
- You used to spend all your change on candy just because you could
- You couldn't talk back to your mother without consequences and reprecussions
- You had your first crush and it was hard to even be around them without feeling butterflies
- People fist fought first and pulled out the guns later
- Big Mamma kept the family together
- It was a house rule that you had to stay away from a certain family member who was either on drugs or a drunk
- The first time you had sex and thought afterwards... "Is that it?"
- You were so excited to get your first job and then after a few months you ended up not wanting to go anymore
- Ophrah weighed more and rocked all those fucked up hairstyles
- You didn't have to pay bills
- Parents were actively invovled with their children's school
- A can soda was around 25 cents
- A pay phone only cost around 25 cents
- If you wanted to talk to your friends or even see them you had to do your homework first
- You hated the fact that your mother or father was always right about everything
- You couldn't wait to get your own place. Only to then realize all the sacrifices your parents made for you
- Dancing with the opposite sex involved very little, if any, bumping and grinding. You actually stood up and made eye contact
- Having a weave in your head was looked down upon
- If you had a pager (wow, remember those?) and were black, people thought you were a drug dealer
- If you wanted to reach your friends by phone, they actually had to be at home
- Kids were alot more physically active before nintendo and sega came out
- You always had a friend around you that would make jokes about everyone but couldn't take a joke about themselves (if you didn't then this was you!)
- You had to be a certain age before you could go out on a date by yourself
- You thought you had it all figured out until reality came and slapped you
- That nerdy square boy/girl in your grade school class got fine ass hell when they got older
- It was like everyone had the hot new shoes exepct you
- You had your first kiss and didn't know what the hell to do so you just did what you saw in the movies or on tv
- Everyone knew who the "fast" girl in the neighborhood was. Boys tried to get at her and other girls hated her
- We thought regular fitting jeans on men were cool and now the pants are so big young dudes seem to not be able to keep them up on their waist
- You could actually tell how old a teenage girl was just by looking at her (now they look like women)
- Common sense was much more "common"
- To actually make an R&B album, you had to be able to sing
- You couldn't wait for your parents to take you to McDonald's (Happy Meals! And they had better toys then too!)
- Men actually raised their children
- Cartoons on saturday morning were actually good

Well I can go on and on but I'm curious to know what you remember. So feel free to leave a comment and add on to the list. Much love Family as always. More hustling game and stories coming at you in a day or two.

7 Comments:

  • At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This post brings back SO many memories it's not even funny.

    Penny candy was SO great back then. I used to run to the corner store every chance I got.

    Remember when you had to be home before the street lights came on; or was that just me? I felt SO deprived back then. Having kids now, I can understand why that's so important.

    Remember when it used to be cool to go bike riding with all your friends? I don't think kids do that anymore.

    Remember when ALL the parents in the neighborhood knew one another and YOU couldn't get away with ANYTHING because someone's parent always seemed to be around?

    Remember pep fests and basketball games and making sure that you looked super fly so you could get your MACK ON?

    Remember Snow ball fights on the way home from school, soft ball at your local empty lot and tag?

    Things seemed so simple back then. Ok, let me go reminisce on my younger years. *Sigh*

     
  • At 2:57 PM, Blogger The_Hustleman AKA James W. Dennis said…

    Peace to the goddess! Wow, I forgot about some of those things. Bike riding especially. We used to pretend they were futuristic cars LOL. And yes, snowball fight were the shit. Pep rallies... I used to hate those. They were at the end of the school day so I used to just go home along with half of the school. Good times... good times...

     
  • At 4:57 PM, Blogger Disco said…

    Hey love,

    YEEEEESSS!! I remember ALLLLL OF this!!! LOL You are taking me BACK!!! And ya know, I SOOOO remember MY biggest wish: That I wanted to have my OWN place, then I discovered how much MONEY it took and was like "DAYUM!! How my momma make it with MY ass wanting DESIGNER EVERRRRYTHING and being a single Mom?" Made me THAT much more appreciative of her :-)

    AWESOME post and btw, you were TOOOO cute in that pic :-) Loves it!

     
  • At 10:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I remember when we would have breakfast for dinner not knowing that our parents were broke, but those pancakes, bacon and eggs tasted good.

    In junior high school I remember getting a slice of pizza and a coke for 25 cents. Oh oh. Did I date myself? ;]

    Good piece!

     
  • At 10:57 PM, Blogger The_Hustleman AKA James W. Dennis said…

    @ Mz Robyn - Wow, designer everything? I know your mother must have loved you. It's real though, when you get older you really appreciate your parents more. @ TheCapt - Hey! Pancakes for dinner! I remember that, and I loved it too! And I seriously doubt you dated yourself... please tell me I'm wrong about that LOL. Just kiddin' Capt. Thank you both for stopping by.

     
  • At 10:20 PM, Blogger Disco said…

    naw.....naw....see...the key word Shai was "WANTING designer everything!" LOL I mean she would do what she could but she was a single parent raising a kid. But she tried and I see how much she tried now that I have a baby monkey of my own! LOL Keep it tight sweetie! Love the blog!!!

     
  • At 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey shai,

    This really does bring me back. Do you remember "the badest one knock this stick off my shoulder"? lol And everybody knew that if you hit the stick off first you were the shittt.I can't believe that we use to do that and walking around in circles.

    I remember when I wanted to get on the bus and ride downtown. Now you couldn't pay me to get on the bus. I remember playing hide and go get! That was always fun and the same girl was always caught. Little freak.

    Yep, those were the good old days.I didn't think so then, but it's funny how time changes your mind.
    Good post!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home