The Hustleman Chronicles

Hustling in the concrete jungle of Atlanta, Georgia USA isn't easy. My goal? Simple... to go from net worth zero to the making of my first million. Will I flop, or rise to the top? Truth be told, failure is NOT an option. E-Mail your Hustleman at : thehustleman@hustleandprofit.com for some personal dialogue, comments or questions.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

A Hustleman Introspection: Enemy Of The Soul

Greetings to the Family out there! As always, I hope all is well with you. Blogger has been fuckin' with me lately so I'm trying to sort that out. Anyway a few quick updates before we get on with today's post.

1) I've been tired as hell lately and haven't been too inspired to write much. I've turned down my hustle a notch because I feel burnout coming. So, instead of going 199% like usual I'm just doing a 100%, feel me? If I get burned out then I won't be doing shit so I'm making efforts to avoid that.

2) Good news from the block! New York has finally hit his lotto number! He said this was his month and sure enough it was. He hit it Tuesday night and is currently out of town in... New York (you saw that coming right?) Needles to say he hit it big time so I'm very happy for him. He even came through to show your Hustleman some love last night before he left out this morning. It wasn't even necessary but that's how New York is. Much love to him and I hope his trip goes well.

3) The current status of my hateration fan club seems to have calmed down a little bit. It's all good, I know they're lurking in the shadows somewhere. I see you sucka ass bitches. You can't hide too long, you have hating to do, so get to work! Anyway moving on...

I wrote the draft of this post in the early morning. You know... one of those nights when your mind is full of thoughts and suddenly a moment of clarity hits you. Well if you all would allow me, here I go again on another introspection which I would like to share.

Here it is: The fear of loss is quite possibly the greatest motivator known to us human beings. When things look their worst, we often times wait to the last minute to make our move. Usually because only then do we realize that we are about to lose something valuable to us. I've lost many things in my life from relationships, to money, to material possessions and more and each and every time I learned something in the process. As I get older I'm beginning to realize that fear is almost always the wrong motivation to move on. When we move in fear we move in error most of the time. We were not made to live out of fear but out of courage.

If you can go back and look at all your accomplishments throughout your life, the ones that probably stand out the most are the ones that took effort, work and the general idea of just "fuck it"! You knew you may not have gotten the results you wanted, but you went ahead. You pushed fear aside and moved forward anyway. Moving despite fear and doubt is power in its truest sense. We all fear many things, but if you let that stop you or determine what you do and how you do it, you are doing nothing but dimming your soul, you're hurting your own growth.

It's been said that human beings move (make decisions) because of 2 main factors. 1) The fear of loss and 2) the desire for gain. But on some levels, even the desire to gain something is fear based. Most of what we desire is to keep us from feeling the pain of losing something. It can be as simple as the desire to be secure. If you desire to feel secure, you actually fear losing what you have, feel me?

It's a sad reality but we have been programmed to respond to fear. We have let it control our lives. And then we wonder why many of us live mundane and stressful lives. We stopped living "our" life along time ago. Now we only live a shadow of a healthy existence. We are living someone elses life. Even the very act of paying a bill is to keep us from losing something which we need. The subtle programming is deep Fam.

Now, realistically, we can never fully live without doing things to keep us from loss. But we can make efforts to do things that will get us closer to what WE want (not what THEY tell us we should want). Fear of loss and the desire for gain are like two boxers, evenly matched and equally strong. The one that wins depends entirely on you and your choices. And isn't that what life boils down to? Making decisions and being prepared to deal with the outcome whatever it may be. Everyone seeks their own results.

One of my mentors (yes I've had alot of them :P) once said this. A criminal who lives fearlessly has a better chance of success and becoming "great" (I use that term loosely) than the "good" person who lives cautiously. It has nothing to do with what's right and wrong, it all has to do with the way they look at life and how far they're willing to go to get what they want. I'm not advocating criminal activity, but I'm trying to make this clear. We do things out of fear almost automatically, but when it comes to doing things that will get us closer to our goals and happiness, we hesitate, procrastinate or just drop it all together. Fear not though Fam, we have all been programmed with this shit and it can all be deprogrammed if we're willing to take the necessary steps.

As always, thanks for reading. These are just some of the thoughts that run through the head of your Hustleman from time to time as I continue to commit myself to stay focused and get what I feel I deserve. Peace and blessings. Take care out there Family!

7 Comments:

  • At 9:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes it's me again! lol

    I just wanted to say that your way of thinking speaks to my soul. Even though we don't always agree on issues, I have always known that I can come to you when I need to. I do agree that we let fear move our lives. I have been stuck in the same situation that doesn't work for me because of fear. Fear or failure and the fear of success. To listen to you makes me want to stand strong on my own two feet and move closer to what makes me happy even though I am scared.

    As always good reading!

     
  • At 10:41 PM, Blogger The_Hustleman AKA James W. Dennis said…

    @ Mental - Peace Mental! I'm glad you found that inspirational. These are thoughts I deal with daily and I always try to make sure that when I do move, I don't move from the wrong motivation. If you make moves and your intention is wrong, the results will be wrong too. What can I say? Life's not easy but it doesn't need to be complicated.

     
  • At 10:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Gotdamn fear based actions. I know what it is to act in avoidance and from emotion.

    We just got to push that funky ass fear aside and do what needs to be done.

    Good post. Don't burn out...cuz it is hard to get that fire lit back.

    Peace God!!!

     
  • At 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, Happy Friday!

    Ok, I'm a tripping about your man New York. Talk about persistance paying off. I Just hope he spends and invests wisely. I've heard far too many stories about people hitting big and a few years later they are broke again.

    I agree what you said about being motivated by fear. Alot of times when fear is driving you, your actions are haste, careless and mistakes are made. Next thing you know what you were struggling to keep is lost anyway and you're sitting back wishing you had done things differently.

    You are ALWAYS so on point! I'm thinking about some of the things that I want to accomplish and put on the back burner because of my fears and hesitation to take risks. It's funny how we (ok, what I really mean is ME) come up with a million and one reasons not to push forward and do what will probably be more beneficial for us in the long run.

    Ok, I'm off to do my "deprogramming" (and I'm SO serious) so I hope you have a great weekend.

     
  • At 11:28 PM, Blogger The_Hustleman AKA James W. Dennis said…

    @ the god - Peace! Ah burnout... yeah I'm trying not to get to that point. And you're right, once that fire goes out it's hard to get back. Always glad you stop through brother.

    @ the goddess - Peace! I'm happy for New York and we had a conversation about his plans for his new found money. Hopefully he'll follow through. My hopes is that he does what he says and takes his game up a notch to stop being a "worker" and being a "boss", if you follow what I'm saying. And don't think it's just you that comes up with reasons to not do something. I think we all battle with that everyday in some way or another. Peace and blessings.

     
  • At 9:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Man, I tell you, you could teach a course in Sales. Fear is potent enemy of man. If one can't get past fear or setting it aside, one's left very limited. I agree that being motivated by fear can skew you from your goals. But you know what you're talking about.

    People who do sales are like warriors. It takes tremendous energy but sales puts you in a position of calling the shots in your life.

    But the burn-out factor is a real one. That's why I've been using college kids to do my telemarketing, while I do the face to face sales. Training is a pain in the ass but once those folks are in place, the bucks flow with the product. Makes life easier. Everyone I hire, is hired as an independent contractor so they can handle their own taxes.

    Make sure you recharge those batteries! Solid piece!!

     
  • At 9:19 PM, Blogger The_Hustleman AKA James W. Dennis said…

    @ The Capt - I always appreciate you stopping by. I appreciate your wisdom and your perspectives. I'm on recharge mode this week and especially Sunday. I agree sales is rough but the payoff is very worth it. It can be draining too but somehow people think I'm bullshittin' when I say that. Anyway Capt be well and keep doing what you're doing. Your blog is outstanding.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home