The Hustleman Chronicles

Hustling in the concrete jungle of Atlanta, Georgia USA isn't easy. My goal? Simple... to go from net worth zero to the making of my first million. Will I flop, or rise to the top? Truth be told, failure is NOT an option. E-Mail your Hustleman at : thehustleman@hustleandprofit.com for some personal dialogue, comments or questions.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

A Hustler's Perspective: Book Knowledge VS Street Knowledge

FAM! For those of you who celebrate Thanksgiving I hope your holiday is fabulous. I’m getting ready to check out my homegirl Mz Nici Nicole. Seems she’s had stressful day so I’m going to slide through and chill with her for a bit after I finish up on the block. Unfortunately my holiday will be a little on the dull side; it’s all good though, it gives me time to think about a few things that I need to get sorted out… but that’s another post. It's been awhile since I've done a perspective entry so if you're ready, here we go.

Hear me out on this if you would. I was onced asked, "You seem like a smart man, how did you end up hustling on the streets?" to which I replied, "Long story, but I had to use what I had in front of me. I was not going back to having a job!" I would have taken offense to this question because basically this woman was saying that I'm too smart to be on the streets. As if all street hustlers are slow or stupid. Since she was obviously a person who hasn't spent alot of time in the streets I let that one go.

Let me tell you Family, the lessons and the knowledge I learned on the streets are invaluable to me. I've learned to blend in anywhere like a chameleon. I can hit the streets and be around dope boys and thugs. I can switch it up and go around professionals and debate. I can talk to people of all religious denominations and feel completely comfortable. The streets have this affect on you. It makes you immune to certain things. Hell, if you can survive on the streets you can pretty much find a way to survive anywhere. Just look at Tyler Perry of Madea fame. He was homeless, and now a multi-millionaire. The streets gave him a certain strength of character that allowed him to relate to people of all races and and economic classes.

I know alot of women who say that a very important characteristic in a man is the balance of having street knowledge and book knowledge. The reason for this is that a man like this can handle many situations regardless of environment, you feel me? So the question remains which is more important? And I have to say they are both equally important.

I spend most of my time in the streets, but I also study (business books) and listen to anything that can help keep me focused and motivated. And I'm not talking about music. Unlike alot of hustler's I ran with in my street career (new term for you there), I was very fortunate to have some good teachers and mentors. They ranged from hustlers and thugs up to successful business men. I learned more from the hustler's about life perspective and how money works; and as for the professionals I learned about good business practices, negotiation and drive. I feel blessed to have learned both sides. And they truly cannot exist without one another.

Now follow me on this. Knowledge is good. The right kind of knowledge is the best. And knowing how to use that knowledge well, that is wisdom. And the action a person takes from their wisdom is their personal power. It's what gets them results.

A person who is both street smart and book smart and knows how to use what he or she knows can be very wise. I'm never surprised when I can talk to what many people consider to be a bum and they can spit something to me that will give me perspective. I love perspective, it let's you know alot about a person. The way a person views themselves and life will tell you almost everything you need to know about the individual. Although this bum may have some wisdom, they don't back it up with the right kind of action. Which means they have little or no power; they don't get results. If they did though, you would have alot more Tyler Perry's for real.

So all in all your Hustleman is dedicated to learning everything I can about many levels of game out there. Well, at least the ones that interest me. So the next time you find yourself beginning to look down on someone who you might feel in "beneath" you. Take a moment to check yourself because at that moment you are beneath them. They might be able to teach you something. Peace and blessings Fam. Be safe out there.

*** Unparalleled Business Game ~ Home Based and Small Business strategies, techniques and tricks of the trade straight from your Hustleman:

Hustle And Profit.com

4 Comments:

  • At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Talk that truth bro.

    As long as I have known you I can say this is true. You never know where that right knowledge is coming from.

    I know damn well you are intelligent. I don't think ol girl meant because you were on the streets you were less intelligent...I think she was thinking in terms of money. Like why not hustle things that can make you 3x the amount you make on the streets.

    I am not good at street hustling so I can't really say. Yet, I have seen you go out broke in the morning and 2-3 hours later come back with hundreds of dollars. That alone lets me know what ever you know works!

     
  • At 6:16 PM, Blogger Shai said…

    I have said it before to people, we need to able to conduct ourselves from the streets to the boardroom. Being flexible and knowlegdable is what helps us survive.

    I have said some of the best street hustlers can make much more money than on the streets. Some have accounting skills and other skills they can use in the business world.

     
  • At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are always SO RIGHT! You have an advantage that a lot of business men don't have. You have so much street knowledge and have come in contact with such a diverse population from being in the streets. You have that "hands on experience" and that you can't learn in ANY book. This is something your average business man lacks.

     
  • At 12:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm with you. It's best to have both. And you can learn from everybody. My grandson teaches me things.

    You have a good attitude towards people and knowledge which will serve you well into the future.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home