The Hustleman Chronicles

Hustling in the concrete jungle of Atlanta, Georgia USA isn't easy. My goal? Simple... to go from net worth zero to the making of my first million. Will I flop, or rise to the top? Truth be told, failure is NOT an option. E-Mail your Hustleman at : thehustleman@hustleandprofit.com for some personal dialogue, comments or questions.

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Sunday Reflection: The One Man Army And The Enemy Within

Much love Fam! The weathers getting a little cool outside but it's nothing to a brother who's already cool inside feel, me? LOL, anyhow hope this reaches who it needs to reach and I hope all of you are blessed and feeling fabulous! This has been an oddly slow week for some reason, I'm not trippin' but being on the block already tired from lack of sleep and then standing around bored as hell is not a good combination. Anyway onto the reflection for this Sunday...

I'm an entrepreneur by heart, I mean ever since I was 15 I've always wanted to run my own thing. This was mainly due to the FREEDOM factor. Freedom of time, movement and choice. Since I stated working at this age (my first job was only 3 hours a day) I immediatley knew that working for someone else wasn't going to be my thing. I also used to watch my father's determination on trying to get something started for himself. He never did it, but he was always brain-storming and coming up with plans. Somehow this rubbed off on me, and on top of that it's just in my blood. My father's side of the family is head strong and extremely goal-oriented. This of course comes from my grandparents. My grandfather was in the military and my grandmother is true old school. Can you say discipline people!

When I first started hustling I remember having that inner fear that perhaps I was wasting my time and would end up failing. I started... well tried to start, about 3 business prior to what I'm doing now and they all failed. There's like this little voice in your head that's determined to undermine your focus and offer you the "easy" way out. And that easy out is non-action. Just going back to doing what you're comfortable with and being content with the bullshit. I finally pushed past that and well, whaddaya know? After some ups and downs I can stand up with pride I say, "Yeah I did it! And I'm never going back!".

I often sit and think about my journey and my struggle and realize that I'm about to do it all again. Starting a business is not easy. Just on the work I'm putting in right now to get this new thing up and running is crazy! I'm missing sleep, I'm networking, I'm writing, I'm web designing, I'm making marketing plans, writing ads you name it, I'm doing it. I'm a one man army blasting through obstacles and advancing. And here comes that little voice, "Is all this effort worth it? What if I fail? Will I be taken seriously?" It's funny because after all I've been through that annoying voice is still with me. I think that's with everyone and often times that voice wins.

So here it is from your Hustleman: If you are on a path and you are doing something you accept is the best for you, tell that voice to shut the hell up and get the fuck on! Keep moving, keep pushing and make your way to your goal! Don't listen to that voice, or anyone else's voice for that matter if it's not positive. If you succeed then so be it. If you fail, then you have just learned how NOT to do something. Failure is only accepting defeat. Success is finding a way to make things work and continuing to do it, and do it to death.

I appreciate all the love and positive encouragement from the blog Fam (and you lurkers out there who don't comment -- I love you all too, keep coming through) and the people closest to me. Rest assured when I get to where I'm going I'll give you all the blueprint so you can build your own success (if that's what you're after). Black people need to learn how to appreciate and assist one another, we are the only race that doesn't do that. Its that famous "crab in a barrel" theory always rearing its ugly head. It's deep (yes Nici I said "deep" lol). Time for a change, don't you agree? And if any of you out there can share some business game with a brother, I'm all ears. I'm always learning so I can grow. And if you have some questions about the game yourself, hit your Hustleman up. Be well Fam and as the god would say, "Don't throw in the towel until there's nothing left to throw in BUT the towel." That's what's up.

Shots out to Mz Mo - Do your thang girl I got your back!

Keep it moving and keep it simple - if they only knew

9 Comments:

  • At 9:37 AM, Blogger Prophetess said…

    "Black people are the only ones who don't appreciate and assist one another..."

    Brother, if you didn't tell the truth! And when you try to get other Blacks to realize this, they look at you like you are from another planet. I swear, it's an embarrassment and a shame!

    Maybe you can try to see what resources you can find at your local Black Chamber of Commerce, and keep doing your networking! It's gone pay off. Maybe you can network and see if any company or individual would be willing to donate free advertising to you. It don't have to be much, but it'd be worth it, and I'm sure, appreciated. Stay with your website - that's how you're reaching your public and entertaining their interest. Somebody is bound to come across you, be interested, and then spread the word about you and what you're doing.

    I lucked out and have a friend who's willing to help me with printing up my business cards at a minimal cost to me because he knows I'm trying to get it going.

    Don't be afraid to shake hands and meet people in the public, and bend their ear a little bit about yourself and what you're trying to do. Keep it on track, and stay focussed. I wish you much success in your endeavor. Don't give up!

     
  • At 10:31 AM, Blogger Shana said…

    I'm sure your efforts and hard work will be rewarded. You are already a success in my book because you are doing the things you love and believe in! Keep it up and good things will be sure to come your way!

     
  • At 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    HARD WORK AND PERSISTENCE PAYS OFF. I ADMIRE YOUR HEART AND DEDICATION IN ALL OF YOUR PROJECTS. AND AS SHANA SAID YOU ARE A SUCCESS SIMPLY BECAUSE YOU DONT GIVE UP. CONGRATS ON YOUR CURRENT PROJECTS AND GOOD LUCK TO THE FUTURE. NOW THATS DEEP :) LOL!

     
  • At 6:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Keep pushing young brother. There is a book called millionare mindset and it looks like you get the right mindset!

     
  • At 9:54 PM, Blogger The_Hustleman AKA James W. Dennis said…

    @ Mz JoJo - Good tip on the black chamber of commerce! I'm trying to reach out to one of my mentors who's a memeber of the 100 Black Men of Atlanta. He's some-timey though but we'll see where it goes. I know you'll be a success because you have that Hustler swagger, so I'll see you at the top! Be good sista.

    @ Shana - Thanks for the good words. I know where focus and dedication can get you but mine needs to come TODAY! LOL, just playin (sort of). I appreciate you stopping through. I'll be stopping back by your spot when I get time, no doubt.

    @ Mz Nici - LMAO, I wasn't talking about YOU! But I'm always glad to hear from ya. By the way, stop dissin' my terminology and then turn around and take it! If you do it again we're going to have to have some words! Jus playin', you know I got love for you girl. Peace!

    @ Anon - Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. My mindset is set on the prize but I know more bullshit is coming as it always does when you begin something new. I'm up to the challenge though so it is what it is.

     
  • At 10:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ah man...c'mon. I know you don't have no doubts. You have been hustlin' longer than I have held one steady job.

    Same shit...different arena. I know that little voice all to well. That voice needs to get the fuck on.

    I admire your persistence, your strong will and the ability to cut through the fog; even when it is super cloudy.

    Keep it simple and keep it moving!

     
  • At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your drive and dedication is really paying off. I think we've all, no matter how determined we are to see something through, go to battle with that little inner voice. I know that you will keep on pushing to do what you've got to do to succeed. Keep doing what you do because the reward in the end will definitely be worth it. Peace!

     
  • At 12:15 PM, Blogger sunshine said…

    First time here- so HELLO. I truly admire your drive and determination. It's good to see a brother trying to make his own way. You have inspired me to really sit back and figure out what I really want to do.

     
  • At 10:38 PM, Blogger The_Hustleman AKA James W. Dennis said…

    @ the god - Peace god! Thanks bro and I know once you get everything in line as it should be, you'll probably blow past me. I admire your creativity and alot of it has rubbed off on me. You are a brother to me for real.

    @ the goddess - I can't say enough about the positive energy you always send my way. It's much appreciated. It's always good to be blessed by your presence. Peace and blessings.

    @ tjeanise - Hello! Thank you for coming by and commenting. I hope to see you around some more. I also appreciate the compliment and good words. Don't sweat it though, it took me YEARS to find out what I wanted to do, so once you find it, I know you'll be alright. I'll be dropping by your spot when I have more time this weekend. So until then be good sista and much love.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home