The Hustleman Chronicles

Hustling in the concrete jungle of Atlanta, Georgia USA isn't easy. My goal? Simple... to go from net worth zero to the making of my first million. Will I flop, or rise to the top? Truth be told, failure is NOT an option. E-Mail your Hustleman at : thehustleman@hustleandprofit.com for some personal dialogue, comments or questions.

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Sunday Reflection: Out Of Focus

Greetings Fam! I knew it would happen sooner or later and indeed it did happen. My sinus troubles have kicked in due largely to the drastic weather changes going on here in the ATL. I swear it's like spring out side right now, real talk. Anyhow, since I've been feeling a little bit under the weather I haven't been inspired to write anything. Actually my only inspiration has been to get my sleep on; I'm so out of focus right now.... But moving on... I have decided to include a small teaser from my book "The Hustler's Manual" for this post. This comes from Chapter 4, Tool #1 - The Mind.
Get your copy of "The Hustler's Manual" by clicking on the link at the end of this post. Don't delay any longer because everyone has one, except you! Just playin' :-) Enjoy Fam!
Principle 7: The Secret Behind The Magnetic Personality
Have you ever met someone that has the type of personality that just lights up the room? They seem almost stress free and they command attention although they don’t go actively looking for it. They seem to get along with everyone and when they speak everyone seems to listen to what they have to say.

I remember back a few years ago when I was just getting the hang of business, one of my hustling partners and part-time mentor was strapped for money. We’ll call him B. Now B was the type of guy who could literally sale ice to an Eskimo. He realized he had gotten a little lazy in his business and was determined to get himself back on track.

We had gotten up early that particular day and met with our wholesalers. After getting what we needed we were off to our “spot” where we would set up shop for the day.

It was hot! I mean scorching outside. It was summer time and anyone that knows what Georgia heat feels like will back me up on this - You do not want to be in the heat too long, you feel like you’re going to melt. I guess it’s not the heat so much as the humidity that’s added to it. The heat just sticks to you.

Anyway, we set up shop and began to work. B outside of work was always very friendly and you rarely caught him in a bad mood, but when it was time to work he hit a zone where you just couldn’t stop him. People were just drawn to him. Here he was making sale after sale after sale and I was maybe making 1 out of every 9 or 10. Needless to say I was getting discouraged. But B was on fire!

We didn’t want to be outside too long because of the blazing heat but we both had our quota and we wanted to make it as quickly as possible. Well B made his quota in less than an hour. And tripled his quota in a little over 2 hours. For me it took 3 hours to make quota. By that time B was almost out of stock and was helping me sell off my inventory. Almost everyone he talked to came over just to see what he had, and almost everyone bought something.

After we were done for the day he could see the frustration in my eyes, I guess it was written all over my face. I mean we worked together so how could I hide the fact that it took me forever to “get going” so to speak? He looked at me and said, “It’s a vibe man, you just have to catch it.” And these words still stick with me to this day.

What did he mean by that? He meant that you can literally magnetize people to you. He was creating, not waiting. He built rapport just by putting out more energy (the right kind of energy) than everyone else around him, including me. He worked with the very “spirit” of what we were doing. Let me tell you a story.

Let’s say you’re at the beach. It’s hot and of course most people are dressed in swimwear. But here comes this guy, he’s dressed in a 3 piece suit and tie. The suit is an ugly green color and just by looking at him you would think he was a fool. Does he even know where he’s at? People are laughing and pointing at this idiot but it doesn’t seem to bother him.

He walks up and down the beach waving at people, giving high fives to kids and generally seems to be enjoying himself. He’s opening up conversations with person after person. When he’s through talking to a particular person or group they seem to be generally very happy he stopped to talk with them. And as he continues to walk he finally approaches you.

“Hello!” He says with a slight smile. He’s cheerful but not annoyingly so. He continues, “Great day here at the beach isn’t it? I would love to go for a swim but I forgot my swim trunks. What a damn shame.” He chuckles a little and then some kids run up to him laughing as they kick sand on him and he kicks some sand back at them. The young kids scream and yell wildly running off laughing louder and he laughs too.

“So, what brings you here today?” He asks you. You here a faint ringing sound. Yep, it’s definitely a cell phone. It’s his so he takes it out of his pocket and answers it. “Hey! Oh, really? Alright well give him whatever he wants. 8 million dollars? Whoa! That’s a little steep but go ahead and have his lawyer fax us the contracts. I don’t care how much it costs. Just get it done. Thanks Sharon. Bye.”

He turns back to you and says, “Oh, sorry, let me introduce myself. I’m George Anderson and I’m a real estate investor. I was thinking of buying up about a dozen square blocks of commercial property here and just wanted to know how often you come to this beach and what do you like most about it? I want to improve the area, but not take away the things that people find charming.”

Has your perception of this man changed? At first he was a fool in a 3 piece suit now he’s a multi-millionaire business man. Would your reaction and the way you talk to this man change? Of course it would. And why? Because he’s not an idiot or a fool, he’s a serious man with a serious goal in mind.

The point of this story is this, the way people perceive you can change when they realize you are in a position of perceived power. I say perceived because you may not actually be in a position of power at all, but if you are giving off that “vibe”, people will fall in line with it. You must align yourself with the very “spirit” of this perceived power.

When people perceive that you are in control of the situation and you look and sound like you know what you’re doing, they will relax around you. And also open up to you. It’s just the way human beings have been conditioned.

A person who is confident about what they say and what they do, even if people disagree with it, still will respect you. This “vibe” is like a magnet and it draws people to you.

The more you know about your business and your product or service and the more confident you are when you tell people about it, the more they will (in their mind) separate themselves from you, but separate themselves in a positive way. This works to your advantage. They will look at you as an expert, or at the very least someone who knows more about the subject than they do.

If you can project this confidence and knowledge in a laid-back and friendly way, pulling them in, not pushing it on them (a very important distinction), people will respond to it.

My dear readers, an expert in something isn’t the person who knows everything about a subject; an expert is just someone who knows more about the subject than the person he’s talking to.

This “vibe” is simply confidence in the way you speak and present your product or service and the way you make your customer or prospect an expert also by sharing what you know with them. You should share with them as much as they want to know. Again pull them in, don’t push it on them. People naturally respond and relax around people like this, and of course this is what you want.

This subject is very in depth and I don’t have room to go into a lot of detail here. But it’s very important to learn how to correctly communicate with people and to know everything you can about your business. The rest is all about being friendly and open to the person you’re talking to. In return, they’ll open up to you.
*** Unparalleled Business Game ~ Home Based and Small Business strategies, techniques and tricks of the trade straight from your Hustleman:

3 Comments:

  • At 3:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Im so simple minded some times.... I thought you were talking bout me at first couse YOU know folks are drawn to me.... lol

    Good blog !!!

     
  • At 1:41 AM, Blogger Disco said…

    Love it. You know Shai, you just gave me the inspiration I needed to be more positive in terms of talking to these "interviewers". I know that usually I have a very personable "vibe" about me, but since losing my job, I just ain't been feelin'it. nah'mean?

    But I am an expert on one thing (if nothin else).....ME.... And I MUST get that swagger back and draw folks in (like I have usually been good at doing all my life)....

    Thanks love :-)

    Jewels gained once again!

     
  • At 6:38 PM, Blogger The_Hustleman AKA James W. Dennis said…

    @ Mental - Uh... you would think I was talking about you LMAO!

    @ Mz Robyn - I see you're still on your grind. Hold tight to it, I know you'll get what you're after. No doubt about it :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home