The Hustleman Chronicles

Hustling in the concrete jungle of Atlanta, Georgia USA isn't easy. My goal? Simple... to go from net worth zero to the making of my first million. Will I flop, or rise to the top? Truth be told, failure is NOT an option. E-Mail your Hustleman at : thehustleman@hustleandprofit.com for some personal dialogue, comments or questions.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Hustleman Scrooge?

Although I’m as optimistic as the next brother, it’s hard to ignore the fact that A LOT of people are catching it rough this year. Many people are losing their jobs; everyone I know is on a strict Holiday budget, myself included. Oh… the joy of the Holidays!

Anyway… as the holiday approaches I hear more and more people just ready to get it over with ASAP. I remember this time of year as a little dude, everyone seemed more joyful, whether frontin’ or not you could definitely feel the so-called “Holiday Spirit” in the air. I lived in Denver, Colorado then and the presence of snow really made it feel like the special season we all have seen on the television. Now here it is, everyone is either depressed, frustrated or on their way to getting that way because they know they’ll be broke (or damn close) in a few days. Bah-humbug! No doubt. Other than my god-children, everyone is getting cards this year. I love you all, but not that much LOL. Just playin’.

I just noticed this about myself a few years ago, but the older I get the more I dread the Holidays. It’s just not the same and add on the fact that I really don’t have any children around me (the Holidays are really all about them). When did the Holidays become something you want to rush through instead of something you look forward to enjoying? All I see now is the greed involved in it. It’s not about family so much anymore; it’s about spending your money to really feel like you had a “good” Holiday. Eh… maybe it’s just me.

Say what you want, but when I have children they won’t know who the hell Santa is. Don’t get me wrong, I would never deprive my children of the joy of the Holidays, but I want to keep it as real with my children as possible. I want them to be able to see reality and overstand it, not fill their heads with fantasies that there is someone out there who’s watching you all year; keeping track of your every deed. Then he comes to bring all the good kids in the world gifts in the night and you never see him, hear him but you have to thank him. I’m not with that bullshit, so miss me with that. I want my children to know that the gifts they receive came from people that love and care for them. The gifts were given out of sacrifice and thoughtfulness, not from a mystery spook who they don’t know.

My last good memory was when I was back home in Denver and grown. It was around 11pm on Christmas Eve and I was wrapping up last minute presents for my little brother who was sleep in the bed. My father and his wife (my step mother) were in the kitchen along with my Grandmother. They were finishing up cookies for dinner the next day while my dad did some early preparation for the dishes he was making. By the way, my dad can cook his ass off! The mood was positive and it felt good to be around my family. And even better to see my little brother because I didn’t see him much… and I still don’t. He’s way on the other side of the States in Cali with our mother. That time right there meant more to me than any other Christmas before. It was no longer about the gifts and the running around trying to find things for people, wondering if I was spending too much money. It was simply the time I spent with them that made it special. Unfortunately I haven’t felt that feeling in years and it’s nothing that anyone can buy you. The best things in life truly are free.

Just curious; if you feel like sharing I’d love to hear about one of your good holiday memories. I could use a little upliftment. Peace and blessings Fam! Keep it moving and keep it simple – If they only knew.

*** Unparalleled Business Game ~ Home Based and Small Business strategies, techniques and tricks of the trade straight from your Hustleman:

Hustle and Profit.Com

8 Comments:

  • At 10:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Stranger! Don't let the season get the best of you. As a child I would get so excited I would get sick when Christmas would come around. I eventually learned to just observe what folks were doing without getting so excited.

    I'm still that way now. The Spirit reaches me by watching others go through all the gyrations. My Lady does some shopping and loves to cook. My son is grown and has my grandson. But I tend to just do my own thing.

    Too bad your not going to be in New York on Christmas Eve. I'm having people come by throughout the day and evening. A little food, drink, music and talk.

    Did an entry on the Holiday Blues. I think when you move away from what the Holiday means to others, you can then find what it means to you and be happy with it.

    Having a Lady friend to share some personal time is usually a nice distraction. Holidays are really just another day.

    Enjoy yours -make the most of it. All the best, Hustleman!!

     
  • At 12:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "that there is someone out there who’s watching you all year; keeping track of your every deed."... That ain't santa clause that is the goverment.

    I am like you bro. Holidays are for the kids.

    When I think of a good holiday entry or story I will let it be known.

     
  • At 7:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey,
    I know how you feel when it comes to kids and the hoildays. Since we live together i know just what you mean when you say it doesn't feel like ochristmas anymore. We have no decorations no tree no nothing. The holidays just seem to pass us without kids by. Maybe one day we will feel the spirit of the holidays.

    Anyhoo, back to the question at hand. I remember as a kid every single year on X-Mas eve waiting up late at night and looking for Santa. I was one of the "believers." My mom told me that if i tried to peek while santa was there he would put pepper into my eyes. So one night, really late, I snucked down to see if Santa had come yet. He hadn't so I went to my post and looked harder and longer.... I know this is crazy but I thought I saw him. I jumped into bed and pretended to be sleep. Somehow I actually fell asleep. When I woke up the gifts were there. I was covienced for at least 2 years after that that he was real.

    I got everything I wanted too. I was even more in love with the idea of Santa than ever before. This Christmas will be a better one for you if I have to do what I can you know I will!!!

     
  • At 11:54 PM, Blogger Shai said…

    I feel ya on dreading the holidays as they come. I miss good ol simple fun holidays. Now people have expectations of doing it up big.

    I am a person that loves simple things. I learned at 12 not to expect things for Christmas and to appreciate what I get. If I get a nice glove set I am happy. LOL. I have always like simple and nice things.

    I used to love shopping and giving gifts. I still like to give and watch the person knowing I KNOW them so well they will enjoy the gift. Now I hate shopping.

    My child is 16 so it is simple shopping, she goes to the Scream concert after Xmas,some money and few lil gifts she is gravy. LOL.

     
  • At 12:02 AM, Blogger Shai said…

    Ok, I never let my child take pics with Santa, it just felt funny, her sitting on a strange man's lap.

    As simple as it was, I got $500 from an uncle one Xmas when I was in college and a single mom. I was thrilled. I have other times I remember. To be truthful, I hardly remember any Chrismases before 12. At 12 I got NOTHING because my mom could not. We were living with my grandparents and cousins and they got presents but I did not. My grandma was out of town, if she was around she would have done something.

    I liked the adult Xmas times better because I anticipated nothing and got nice gifts. I remember when I was younger I got money for Xmas and still would spend it on someone else.

    I remember be geeked and my aunt telling tales to me and my cousin about Santa. Or when we got older and we ordered pizza for the New Year and my mom and aunt would let us kids have a lil alcoholic drink as teens. LOL.

    Xmas is what you make it young or old.

     
  • At 3:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm with you. The older I get the more scroogish I'm become. I've been saying that a lot lately. I don't really care much for the holidays and if I didn't have kids I wouldn't celebrate it at all. Just another excuse to spend money, or dang near break your self all in the name of ONE DAY! Humph! No thanks. See my Scrooge is coming out. LOL

    I can't think of any childhood memories, but I think my favoarite has got to be last year. The 15 year old wasn't giving any hints last year as to what he wanted. The kids are usually pretty modest and don't ask for much, but he wasn't giving us any help. So we wrapped a bunch of stupid stuff for him; an empty x-box box from a b-day or something the prior year, some Ramen Noodles (he loves those) a votive candle, one of the babies slippers and an old raggedy dictionary, tissue and some other miscellaneous things. It was SOOOOO funny watching him open that stuff up. We were laughing so hard I think we almost passed out. It was great. Good thing he has such a good sense of humor. LOL.

    Anyway, hope you enjoy the God babies. Peace and Blessings from the Mrs. LOL

     
  • At 11:37 AM, Blogger Blah Blah Blah said…

    I remember holidays in Denver...cold as hell. Umm, if hell can be cold I mean...*shrug*

    I am with ou, the older I get, the less it I am turned on by it...or maybe it's just this year... I feel like I over spent for some people that I don't even plan on having around next year...
    ...however, to be truthful... the holidays season is awesome in New York...just a need a little snow.

     
  • At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Have a good Christmas in Spirit, Hustleman. Life seems to wants to promote the money aspect, but we have to keep ourselves in the clearer perspective that the season is about being with people who make you feel good and a little less alone. And to extend yourself to others beside yourself.

    Here's to the promise of things better. Your Brother in Spirit, The Capt.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home