The Hustleman Chronicles

Hustling in the concrete jungle of Atlanta, Georgia USA isn't easy. My goal? Simple... to go from net worth zero to the making of my first million. Will I flop, or rise to the top? Truth be told, failure is NOT an option. E-Mail your Hustleman at : thehustleman@hustleandprofit.com for some personal dialogue, comments or questions.

Sunday, February 18, 2007

A Hustleman Introspection: Fold or Function

First and foremost let me formally invite all of my Blog readers to download a copy of what I have nicknamed “The Little Book”. This book literally changed my life when it came to making money. It’s a “spiritual” approach to the whole process. And when I say “spiritual” I don’t mean religious, but an awareness of yourself in the grand scheme of things; a sort of inner knowledge if you will.

Again this book is FREE of charge and any commitment. This is the pre release version of the book so it is a little rough around the edges, but all the vital information is intact. To get your copy simply click on the “The Little Book” link at the end of this post. This book will only be available until March 31st so do not delay too long.

*** Side Note: Recently on Oprah she’s invited teachers of the DVD called “The Secret”, which supposedly claims to contain the secret to a fulfilling and meaningful life, to speak about how the mind and the correct use of thought can change your life. “The Secret” as the panel explains was known by great and wise people throughout history and is based on many factors such as gratitude for what’s in your life right now. I mention all of this to say that I agree with a lot of what these guests on Oprah’s panel were saying because I use it everyday; I found this so-called “secret” out along time ago. If you will, go download “The Little Book” because although it uses this “Secret” as it applies to becoming wealthy, there’s definitely enough information in it to learn how to apply it to any area of your life. Back to the post…

I sit back and think sometimes about where I’ve come from and all the dues I’ve had to pay to get where I’m at. I mean I’ve been through a lot, I’ve been homeless; engaged twice and never married; my mother and I don’t get along for a number of reasons which keeps an uncomfortable distance between my little brother and myself. I’ve had nice things and lost them all piece by piece. My life in my early and mid-twenties was so unstable that I never thought I would get out of the hole I dug for myself.

I’ve fought throughout all of this because I knew that deep down this was not my life, feel me? When we’re young, I think we all have a vision of what our life will be like when get older. We have goals, dreams and aspirations that very seldom develop and come to pass. Hell, I had a hard time seeing myself even alive at age 30 and now that 32 approaches this year I consider myself very blessed and thankful. My life, just as everyone else’s, is a direct reflection of my thoughts and perspective on things as well as my actions. When you look at your life you have to take responsibility for the way it is and either fold or function. Either curl up, punk out and continue living in frustration and stress, or push with everything inside of you to make things better.

The idea of fold or function isn’t mine, it was a name given to the concept of give-up or fight by a close friend of mine some years ago. The concept always stuck with me because it represents choice. As a matter of fact we make a fold or function choice every single day of our lives.

Do you continue trying to make your love relationship work, or do you give up on it? Do you choose to apply yourself to becoming better at your job or business or do you just continue to do enough to squeeze by? Do you fight to keep your children on a good and honest path or do you let someone else raise them and teach them? Do you trust that that the food you got from that fast food restaurant was prepared with your health in mind and not dropped on the floor or something worse? Do you fight to get the things that you want out of life or do you just settle for a close second or third?

Fold or function; the constant choice that is in our face to go left, go right, make a way up the middle or to not move at all. The ability to keep going despite all the bullshit that seems to be piling on top of you. The strength to live life on your terms and not fall into the trap of what’s called “normal”; what’s normal for the next person may not feel right to you. To accept that every thought we think, everything we say and everything action we take will at some point come back to us and we will have to deal with its results whether positive or negative. You can lie to anyone except to yourself and to the Higher Power. Bottom line. Simple.

So do a favor for your Hustleman; the next time you are faced with a decision to take action to improve your life, do it! Push the fear and doubt aside and move forward. Some say that the window of opportunity open and closes, if you miss it, you may never get another chance. This isn’t true! There’s always opportunity around us if you are focused on the greater good. While not all opportunities are right for us, there is always one that is. Take it from someone whose been there and back, went there again and is back this time to stay. There is no burden placed on you that you cannot handle and there is no greater feeling than facing all your opposition (internal and external) and still coming out a winner.

My Hustle partner New York once said this to one of his people, also a fellow Hustler. “You don’t have shit because you have the game wrong. You hustle for you; you only hustle for yourself. You don’t hustle for your family; you don’t hustle to make things better. All you care about is what you can get right now. You don’t even look out for people who look out for you.”

I bring this quote up because it’s another fold or function principle. The more you focus on your survival (and only your survival), the harder it is to survive. When you get selfish and stop caring about others, they will stop caring about you. This life is built so that sooner or later we will eventually need to involve ourselves with other people to help us, assist us and advance. This is yet another choice to make as you go throughout your day. More to all and less to none; I hope you’re hearing me.

Be good all. Peace and blessings Fam, until next time.


*** The Little Book That Changed My Life - Get it now for FREE

CLICK HERE

5 Comments:

  • At 1:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You're sounding good, Hustleman! It was almost like reading myself in the things you said.

    Keep pumping the truth.

     
  • At 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah man. This principle is something ain't it? When you put your situations in the context of function or fold...you always feel like a pussy when you choose fold.

    I am going to download the book right now.

     
  • At 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Man I hear ya! I've heard the fold or function concept before but heard it as "fight or flight" Regardless of how it's phrased it means the same thing....You can chose to run away but then theres NO fulfillment in that.

    It's looks like we've all been on a blogging hiatus, but it's always good to hear that things are going well for you. Take care!

     
  • At 2:03 PM, Blogger The_Hustleman AKA James W. Dennis said…

    @ The Capt - Thanks Capt. I always spit the truth regardless. It's always good to know that there are others out there who know where I'm coming from.

    @ The god - LOL true that bro, but alot of us fold more often than function. Suckas always take the easier route and have to settle with not having what they really want. I know we all went through this at one time.

    @ The goddess - Peace! I'm so busy sista it's hard to stay on top of blogging right now but it's all for the best. These bags under my eyes will pay off eventually. I'll be coming through your blog sometime this week.

     
  • At 10:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Interesting to know.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home